Q&A for parking 2022-23
If you have other questions or concerns not answered below please contact the Dean of Students, John Muehlberger.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR A PARKING PERMIT?
- All St. James Academy sophomores, juniors, and seniors who possess a valid Kansas Driver’s License are eligible for a parking permit. Any St. James Academy student who drives to school MUST REGISTER their car.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS TO REGISTER A CAR?
- A student who is eligible must register for a parking spot with St. James Academy for a parking spot. A $75 fee will be assessed per parking spot and must be paid upon registration. Parking permits will be mailed to each student driver before the first day of school.
CAN I CHOOSE MY PARKING SPOT?
- Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores (limited) are given the opportunity to select their parking spot in their designated lot. There are limited parking spots available for Sophomores due to a lack of parking spaces. Freshmen are not allowed to drive since we don’t have enough parking spaces. Each permit will contain the assigned parking spot number.
CAN I TRADE PARKING SPOTS?
- No. Students need to park in the spot assigned to them.
WHERE DO I PUT MY PARKING PERMIT?
- Parking permit window decals must be placed visibly on the inside of the driver’s side window. Parking permits will be mailed to each student driver before the first day of school.
WHAT IF THERE ARE TWO STUDENT DRIVERS IN ONE FAMILY?
- Multiple drivers are allowed on our campus but each driver must be registered individually and pay the fee.
WHAT IF A STUDENT DOES NOT HAVE A DRIVER’S LICENSE YET?
- A student may purchase their spot in advance if spots are still available if they are going to begin driving sometime throughout the school year. This applies to sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
ARE FRESHMEN ALLOWED TO DRIVE TO SCHOOL?
- Freshmen are not allowed to drive.
WHAT IF A STUDENT DRIVES A DIFFERENT CAR TO SCHOOL?
- Anytime a student drives a different car to school from the car that is registered, the student must let the front office know and receive a temporary pass and receive a parking permit.
WHAT IF A STUDENT HAS AN INJURY AND NEEDS TO PARK CLOSER FOR A PERIOD OF TIME?
- The student should email the Dean of Students stating the injury and period of time needed to temporarily move.
WHAT IF SOMEONE IS PARKED IN MY SPOT?
- If someone is parked in your spot please park in visitor parking and notify the Dean of Students or the School Resource Officer.
TERMS OF STUDENT PARKING PERMIT AGREEMENT
- The parking permit fee is $75.00 per student per year.
- Each registered car will be issued a parking permit window decal that must be placed visibly on the inside of the back driver’s side window.
- Parking permits are NOT transferable to other students.
- Students assume full responsibility for their vehicles, contents, and operation while on school property. SJA is not responsible for injuries, damage, thefts, or accidents involving student vehicles on our property.
- The speed limit on campus is 15 mph and must be adhered to by all drivers.
- State and local driving and parking laws will be enforced on campus.
- Violators are subject to traffic citations, fines, and school discipline to include loss of parking privileges.
- Student vehicles will be parked in their designated student spot/lots.
- State-issued handicap license plates or permits must be displayed on vehicles parked in handicap spaces.
- Loitering in the parking lots is prohibited. Students are expected to enter the school directly upon arrival and depart upon dismissal.
- Student vehicles must be legally registered and insured.
- Controlled substances are prohibited in school as well as in vehicles on campus.
- Parking fines will be issued for violations. Parking permits may be revoked if fines are not paid to the school within 10 days of issuance.
- ALL STUDENTS’ VEHICLES ON SCHOOL PROPERTY ARE SUBJECT TO SEARCH.